Friday, January 8, 2010

Winter Cover Crop: Fava Beans

Dear Cheapskate,

I'm finally planting my winter cover crop which I learned how to do at this great free workshop:  Bay Friendly

The thing is to plant fava beans and then have the nitrogen in the roots improve the soil. My soil needs a lot of improvement - though I've lived here over a year I'm still uncovering various lovely syringes as I dig. Life in the city. Gross... Are the fava beans up to the challenge?

The seed stores will sell you 57 grams (1/8 pound) of fava beans for $2.80 plus tax.
Berkeley Bowl, in the bulk food bins, offers fava beans for $2.59 per pound with no tax!!!!

That's $22.40 plus tax per pound from the seed store
or
$2.80 per pound from Berkeley Bowl

Save $19.60 per pound!!!!!

Seeds are a rip off!

See how to grow cheap Cat Grass and Save Your Own Seeds!!

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 01, 2010

    Thanks for the fava bean math! Looking forward to growing them as a ground cover this fall.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Tell me what you think!